You must remember your wedding as a bright day for you and your husband shining with happiness, while one more thing was shining on you literally. Speaking about the diamond ring that once was new and impeccable, how often do you take care of it?
All engagement rings need to be cleaned from time to time, as most of us wear them without taking off no matter what we do in the daily life. It is important to take care of it, if you want its shine and brightness to remind back about one of the happiest moments of your life.
Simple and Safe Way to Clean a Diamond Ring at Home
One good bath a week would be perfect for your engagement ring.
To do the cleaning, carefully follow the next steps and read our tips at the end:
- This universal solution is suitable for all kinds of metals with or without gemstones: soak the ring in a bowl with warm water and a few drops of mild dishwashing soap. You can clean it with ammonia instead of dishwasher liquid, but be careful not to overuse it. Another recipe allows using 50/50 mixture of Windex with hydrogen peroxide, suitable for silver, gold, and white gold.
- If there is much gunk on the ring, scrub the diamond gently with a soft bristled toothbrush. Never use the hard one, as you can scratch the delicate metal. If you have an antique piece of jewellery or the ring contains several gemstones, beware that the setting can be more delicate, and any scrubbing can loosen it and dislodge a stone.
- After that, swish the ring around in the solution for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse the ring thoroughly under warm water.
- Dry the ring with a soft microfiber or cotton cloth and leave for a while before putting on.
Some donts before we go on with the daily tips on maintenance:
Don’t use chemicals, the jewelry pieces are delicate and demanding.
Don’t use abrasives with soda and toothpaste among them, it can scratch the metal.
Don’t clean your jewelry with ultrasonic jewellery cleaning machines.
Don’t clean it with special jewellery cleaners that have chemicals or abrasives.
Leave the last two options to jewelers in case of much dirt accumulated and you cannot manage to clean the ring on your own or take it for annual cleaning (some jewelers give it in warranty).
To avoid your diamond ring getting dirty too fast too often, we would recommend to take it off when you:
– use creams and lotions, especially oil ones.
– work outdoors, gardening for example or doing some activities.
– cook. In this case, your ring’s metal can undergo different reactions depending on what you are working with.
– wash dishes. Do not be misled by the fact that it is still warm water and soap, as you can use different types of sponges and at last, in a big amount of soaped water, it can easily slip off your finger.
Following these simple advices will help you keep your diamond ring sparkling for years and last longer.