With a handmade necklace, you’ll hardly ever meet a copy of your creation, if only you didn’t try to fully repeat someone’s work or vice versa, and even then, there will be your personal touch and love applied to it. Such beautiful present will be priceless for the one you give it.
Types of Pendants You Can Make at Home
There are several types of pendants we would recommend you to try at home:
- Begin with the easiest one: take a ready-to-go box or set and just do it! There are lots of offers you will find on the Amazon, eBay, or craft websites (Mod Podge) with such sets containing all the materials. You will only need scissors and glue to make it work. They are simple designs with bezel pendant trays to put a picture or a cabochon in them and you can make such necklace in a few minutes.
- Beaded necklace. You will need a thread or a cord (leather/silk/nylon) as a base and then it is only up to your imagination: what size, color of beads you want to mix in your creation, whether to combine big beads with smaller ones or knot the thread in this in-between space, whether to put many small beads and crown it with a big one in the middle. Be sure to take into account pleasant color combinations.
- Dichroic glass pendants look spectacular and their delicacy attracts attention. To make one at home the main things you will need are some pieces of glass with at least one of them dichroic and kiln (the place where you will fuse the glass to make a pendant). You can “melt” the combinations of glass pieces in the kiln in order to get one that you like. To finish the pendant, wrap it with wire or adjust a jump ring to it and put it on a chain or a cord.
- Wire wrapped pendants are dedicated to those who really want to do something with their hands. It takes time and concentration, as you work with thin wire (first copper or bronze), which you will twist and turn into loops to make a beautiful setting for the main element of the pendant – a decoratively wired piece, a metal charm, or a cabochon.
Tree of Life Pendant Tutorial
A wire wrapped pendant with a tree of life motif can become an exclusive and inexpensive gift.
You will need:
- Round soft 16 gauge wire (copper or bronze) and round soft 26 gauge wire.
- Round nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Wire cutter
- Jewelry file or cup burr.
- Round object to use as a mandrel
Optional: beads or stones to decorate the tree.
- Take 18g wire and wrap tightly around the mandrel. Leave straight long tails before cutting.
- Take chain nose pliers and bend one of the wires up at 90-degree angle.
- Take round nose pliers to make a loop with the piece you just bent, holding the wire around the middle of the jaw of the pliers.
- With the chain nose pliers take the end of the bent and looped wire, wrap it carefully around the stem below the loop. Cut the excess wire and put its tail to its stem.
- Take the other wire end you left aside for a while and wrap it around the wire wraps you’ve just made during the previous two steps. Cut the excess wire.
- Cut the 26g wire into 5 equal pieces. These will be the roots. Bend each of them in the middle so that they would remind you of hairpins.
- Adjust them to the bottom of the frame and wrap each 3 or 4 times. Tip: Round nose pliers can make it easier to wrap and twist the wire.
- ·Put the middle wire up, cross its ends tightly and right above the bottom of the frame start twisting the two ends to make a root (do it 3 to 5 times). Do the same for the rest four of the roots.
- Then you join the roots into the trunk by twisting all the wires together. Twist it, but do not forget to leave a place for branches.
- Separate the wires into pairs. Twist each pair in different directions to make tree branches.
- Next, you can twist the branches to the end and wrap around the frame like you did with the roots, or you can leave the ends of the branches untwisted to put stones or beads on them and then wrap them.
You can bend the tree until you like it. Each pendant made with this instruction is unique and cannot be repeated.
If you liked working with the wire, you can make earrings to accomplish the set and think up a whole image based on the designs of the set.